|Of the Medical College|
1757 Battle of Plassey
After the battle of Plassey in 1757, the British population in India, both military and civil, increased to a large extent.
1822 Native Medical School
In June, 1822 the first institute to impart western medical education in India was established "for the instruction of natives in Medicine with a view to civil and military service" and was known as the "School of Native Doctors."
1826 Unani and Ayurvedic Medicine
Simultaneously, from 1826 classes in the Unani system started at the Madrassa and in the Ayurvedic System in the Sanskrit College.
1835 Medical College
As there was a perpetual shortage in the number of doctors to attend to the increasing European Civilian population, Lord Bentinck in 1833 appointed a committee to report on the state of medical education in the School of Native Doctors, the Madrassa and the Sanskrit College. Their recommendation was accepted and on 28th January 1835 the medical classes in the Madrassa, Sanskrit College and the Native Medical School were abolished and a decree was passed creating a new Medical College to teach young Indians the medical science.
In February, 1835, one building behind the Hindu College was converted into the new Medical College and books and apparatus of the Native Medical Institute were transferred to the new college. Fifty young Indians joined the course - the first batch.
1836 Madhusudan Gupta
Next year, on 10-Jan-1836, Pandit Madhusudan Gupta (a Baidya Professor of the erstwhile Native Medical College), accompanied by 4 students dissected a dead body.
The first examination of new Medical College was held on 30-Oct-1838. After 3½ years study of Anatomy, Physiology, Chemistry, Natural Physiology, Materia Medica, Botany, Physics, Medicine and Surgery (with the exception of Midwifery, for which there was no provision for teaching), 11 students appeared in the examination and 5 passed.
1852 The MCH Building
The first building of the new College to come up was the famed MCH building, the foundation stone of which was "laid with Masonic Honours" before a large concourse of European and native gentlemen," on Sept. 30, 1848. The building was finally opened on 1st March 1852 and stood as the symbol of this college until 1980 when it was condemned. It has subsequently been renovated and is currently working on half stream.
1857 Affiliated to Calcutta University
The college was duly registered and period of study extended to 5 yrs in 1845. In 1857 it got affiliated under the University of Calcutta. The Central Medical Council of Great Britain recognised the medical degree of Calcutta University in 1892.
In 1906 the LMS course was abolished and next year MB degree course was introduced with a period of study of 6 yrs. This period was again reduced to 5 years with 6 months Pre-Registration Clinical Assistantship (PRCA) in 1940. Within a few years the degree was changed to MBBS until 1977 when the period of study was again reduced to 4½ years with one year's Internship.
1881 Eden Hospital
The Eden Hospital was established in 1881 and admission started from 17? 7 ?1882 with beds for 41 European and 42 Indian ladies. The building was extended in 1931 to accommodate another 38 patients.
1884 Kadambini Ganguly
The first lady student, Kadambini Ganguly entered the college in 1884.
1887 Ezra Hospital
Mr. Ezra donated money for construction of a hospital for sick patients of Jewish Community. This Ezra hospital was inaugurated in 1887 and admission started
on 09-Apr-1888. With the declining Jewish population in Calcutta, the hospital has subsequently been utilised for ENT patients
1891 Eye Infirmary
Shama Charan Law Eye Infirmary was built as an exclusive eye hospital with 57 beds in 1891. ENT and Dental departments were shifted to the first floor on 01-Jul-1931 and Departments of Chest and Skin diseases established in the ground floor.
1896 Anatomy Block
The Lecture Theatre and Dissection Halls of the Anatomy Building were constructed in 1896. Subsequently there were additions of the museum in 1907 and the B. C. Roy Annexe in 1970s.
1904 Pathology Block
The site of the present Physiology-Pathology Block was once occupied by the College Library which was dismantled in 1901 for construction of this block in 1904.
1911 Prince of Wales Hospital
The Prince of Wales Hospital had the Foundation stone laid in 1910 with plan for 80 free beds, 8 cabins and 1 free cabin, and was inaugurated on 22-Mar-1911 by H.E. Lady Hardinge. It has been renamed David Hare Block in 1976 and a new floor has been constructed.
1911 Administrative Block
When the old college building housing the principal's office started falling down in 1905, it was decided to construct an Administrative Block. The construction was completed in 1911.
1926 New Eye Infirmary
The new Eye Infirmary was formally inaugurated in October 1926 and the Regional Institute of Ophthalmology was set up here in January, 1978.
1935 Casualty Block
The Foundation stone of a 2-storey Casualty Block was laid by Sir John Anderson in 1935 and it went operational in 1945. Another floor was added in 1960s.
It is not exactly known when the name of the college changed from "Medical College, Bengal" to "Medical College, Calcutta."