|GOVT. OF WEST BENGAL|
|Consumer Affairs Department|
ISSUES RELATED TO HEALTH AND MEDICAL SERVICES
OBLIGATION OF THE DOCTOR
1. It is obligatory for a doctor to exhibit his or her registration number in chamber and also in the prescription/ certificate/ receipt issued to the patient.
2. A medical practitioner has to display in his/her chamber professional fees.
3. A medical prescription should carry the generic name as well as the brand name of medicine prescribed to a patient in legible manner.
4. Whenever a patient is referred to a consultant by a doctor, it is the responsibility of the attending doctor to forward his or her provisional diagnosis and his prescriptions, if any, to the referred consultant. The consultant in return shall send his or her opinion in writing, back to the attending doctor.
5. Every doctor shall preserve all medical records of an indoor patient at least for three years from the date of initiating treatment.
6. If a patient calls for his medical record, the attending doctor is liable to produce the same within 72 hours from the date of requisition.
7. A registered medical practitioner should maintain a register, recording therein, every detail of medical certificates issued to the patients during the course of his or her practice.
8. There should be no advertisement by a doctor either in the signboard or letterhead, save and except the name of the doctor, his or her qualifications, registration number, and subject of specialisation.
9. A doctor should not indulge in engaging any agent to fetch patient for him or her.
10. A doctor cannot claim to be a specialist in any branch of medicine or surgery, unless lie or she has acquired the requisite qualification in the said branch.
FACILITIES IN A CLINIC
According to the W.B. Clinical Establishment Act, 2001 every medical clinic must have the following facilities:
1. The area of a clinic should not be less than 114 sq.ft. If facilities like medical dressing are made available, the area of such clinic should not be not less than 151 sq.ft.
2. Every clinic should be equipped with:
a. Proper seating arrangements for Doctors, patient and attendants.
b. Wash basin.
c. Necessary instruments/appliances for medical examination.
d. Bins for collection of clinical waste.
3. In every clinic-cum-dressing room, there
must be appropriate arrangements in this regard.
CONSUMER AFFAIRS DEPARTMENT
11 A, Mirza Ghalib Street, Kolkata-700 087.
Phone: 2252-2304. Fax: 2252-0053/2252-0052
E-mail: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Controller, Legal Metrology, West Bengal
45 Ganesh Chandra Avenue, 3rd floor, Kolkata-700013.
Ph: 2236-4258 (telefax), 2237-8157
Director, Consumer Affairs & Fair Business Practice
8-B, Lindsay Street, 6th floor, Kolkata-700087
Ph: 2252-1409 (telefax), 2252-8946, 2252-0129