|Habitat||HABITAT | CALCUTTA | BENGAL | INDIA | TIMELINE|
|Our City of Joy|
From an advertisement by
91.9 FM Friends Radio channel
city has some unique things to offer. This is true for Calcutta, as well.
Things that are so special and distinctive, that you won’t get them in any other city in India.
thought : Belly buttons
And not to be missed in all this,
The sweeter side
creamy, mouth-watering delight!
Jilipi: smaller than the jalebis and tastes quite different.
Lal doi: is an experience by itself!
Kamala bhog: a pale yellow orb, delicately sweetened.
Notun gurer sondesh: a winter speciality available in no other city.
Rosogolla: simply needs no introduction.
Natun gurer Rosogolla: the latest innovation.
pure white, sweetened to just the right extent.
Mihi Dana: golden yellow, saffron scented.
Maalpoa: rich brown pancakes, dripping in sugar syrup.
Ranga alur pithey: another traditional favourite in winter.
Up fashion street
But the dhuti-panjabi and tangail look never becomes out-dated.
And the other marks of distinction are …
Sights and sounds
wakes up in the morning and hears their voices drifting through the
So typically do they say their bit…that it is difficult to forget…. and even more so …to imitate…
And early in the morning, before Durga Pujo, who can forget the strains of
Other things, quaint and very special
Travel in style
Source: The Calmanac Website
TRUE KOLKATTAN ^
true Kolkattan if.....
· Your Residential Address: 45B comes between 30 and 30A.
· Your answer is "Jani na dada", when somebody asks you for directions whether it's to Esplanade, Metro rail, Nandan or Gariahat.
· You come across a Xerox shop: "Xerox machine out of order".
· PCO's also sell ice-creams.
· You are a universal bandh supporter.
· Office-goers are better traffic controllers - criticize Traffic police from the bus.
· Parents are proud to tell others, "Chele Computerer kaaj kore" - whether he's a cashier in a departmental store or a Senior Software developer.
· You have at least one cousin, friend, colleague or acquaintance in the US in software.
· Every time somebody gives you a piece of good news - you became frustrated and the first thing you ask them is, "Sotti? Ki bhabey holo?"
· First day at the Book Fair you locate the important stalls like ARAMBAG'S CHICKEN and BENFISH.
· You call 11:00 A.M. as "Shokaal shokaal" You are 1 hour late and you feel you are on time.
· You look at the "Rs. 90/- Fixed Price" stand and still ask,"15 taka ar ek poisa beshi na! Deben to din..", and wait for his response. And at the end of 30 mins argument, you buy it for Rs. 85/-.
· You know the answers and ins & outs of everything on this planet but for some reason still want to be an NRI but don't quite know how to go about it.
· You know cricket better than Gavaskar, Science better than Einstein, Politics better than Marx and everything else better than everybody else.
· You think being either an engineer or a doctor is the greatest achievement in life because that's what your parents tell you.
· You think you are a great patriot because you quote media statements by politicians better than anyone else and because you think the noise and crowd of the Puja days is the most attractive cultural event ever. Even though you have no idea which year Tagore won the Nobel prize.
· You think you are a good professional because you are good at company politics.
· You think you are a very good family person because you take your kids & wife out for vacations once a year on company LTC.
UNDERGROUND METRO RAIL ^
MG (Mahatma Gandhi) ROAD
JATIN DAS PARK
17 KM RAILWAY SYSTEM is Kolkata's pride and joy.
Slicing through the axis of the city from North (Shyambazar) to South (Tollygunge) it is a world apart from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis above. Here, punctuality and order reigns supreme. This is the quickest and best method of travel in the city.
Each station is conveniently connected to its east and west through Taxis, Buses and auto-rickshaws.
|Current time in in Kolkata (Calcutta)|
|Map of Calcutta :||Click to Enlarge|
|LINKS on Calcutta :|
|To Home||To Top|